New bond hearing for Trayvon Martin shooter
A Florida neighborhood watch volunteer charged with second degree murder for shooting dead an unarmed black teenager will have a new bond hearing on June 29, court documents showed Thursday.
A judge revoked George Zimmerman's bail last week after prosecutors argued that he had misled the court about having no money when tens of thousands of dollars were sitting in online fundraising accounts.
Zimmerman, who returned to jail on Sunday, shot Trayvon Martin dead on February 26 as the 17-year-old was returning from a run to a local store in Sanford, Florida to buy a drink and a packet of Skittles.
The high-profile race case sparked protests across the United States in March and April as anger spread over the delay in pressing charges against Zimmerman, who insists he shot in self-defense and was within his rights under Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law.
Zimmerman initially called police to report that he had seen someone acting strangely but was told not to follow Martin. Witnesses reported seeing a confrontation and prosecutors admit it is not clear who threw the first punch.
Zimmerman told police he had been tracking Martin, whom he had viewed as suspicious, and shot and killed the teen only after being assaulted by him.
The judge in April set Zimmerman's bond at $150,000, but prosecutors say that figure relied on "false representations and statements" by the defendant and his wife about the amount of money he could access.
Zimmerman's attorney says his client acknowledges allowing his financial situation to be misstated in court but insists he has been honest in his other statements and that his credibility should not be tarnished by the episode.