comments_image Comments

Two Kenyans kidnapped by Somali Shebab in 2012 freed: official

Soldiers of the Kenyan Contingent of AMISOM rest in the southern Somali port city of Kismayo on October 5, 2012
Soldiers of the Kenyan Contingent of AMISOM rest in the southern Somali port city of Kismayo on October 5, 2012. Two Kenyan officials kidnapped by the Somali Islamist group Shebab during an attack in northeastern Kenya in 2012 have been released, the Keny

Two Kenyan officials kidnapped by the Somali Islamist group Shebab during an attack in northeastern Kenya last year have been released, the Kenyan presidency announced Tuesday.

"Two Kenyans abducted by Somali Shebab insurgents on January 11th, 2012, have been released following successful negotiations spearheaded by border communities in North Eastern Province," a statement from State House said.

"The two, Edward Yesse Mule, a district officer in Burder division, and Fredrick Irungu Wainaina, registrar of Persons, Wajir South District, have now rejoined their families and in sound health," the statement said.

No details have been released on the date and location of their release.

The officers were abducted during an attack against a police post in Gerile, in Wajir area, close to the border with Somalia. Four policemen, one civil servant and a civilian had been killed in the attack, while three people were kidnapped by the attackers.

No details have been given on the whereabouts of the third person abducted during the attack.

"Efforts are being made to secure the release of other Kenyans still held captive by Shebab militiamen in Somalia," the State House statement added.

A unknown number of Kenyans - including armed forces personnel and policemen - are still held by the Shebab in Somalia.

Somalia's Shebab have conducted several attacks in Kenyan areas bordering Somalia since Nairobi sent troops into the war-torn country in October 2011 to fight Somali insurgents.

Share