comments_image Comments

Syria resumes bombardment of attack site: White House

Syrian army tanks are seen deployed in the Jobar neighbourhood of Damascus on August 24, 2013
Syrian army tanks are seen deployed in the Jobar neighbourhood of Damascus on August 24, 2013. The United States on Monday accused Syrian forces of again shelling the site of a chemical weapons attack outside Damascus, soon after the departure of a UN ins

The United States on Monday accused Syrian forces of again shelling the site of a chemical weapons attack outside Damascus, soon after the departure of a UN inspection team.

Washington has accused Syria of trying to destroy evidence from the attack last week, which opposition forces say killed 1,300 people, including children.

White House spokesman Jay Carney condemned sniper fire directed at the UN team en route to the site and said "upon its return the neighborhood was again bombarded and shelled."

He said that such action demonstrated an "utter lack of Syrian credibility."

The UN team earlier inspected the site of the alleged attack by Syrian government forces outside Damascus and also met victims in hospital.

Share