Penn State settles Sandusky claim
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- A young man who testified he was sexually abused by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky will get a reported multimillion-dollar payout in the first of what is expected to be dozens of settlements between the university and Sandusky's accusers.
The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported Saturday that the young man known as "Victim 5," who took the stand at Sandusky's criminal trial and sentencing last year, settled for several million dollars.
Attorney Tom Kline confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on Saturday, but would not specify the dollar amount. He said the parties signed off on the agreement Friday.
Kline said his 25-year-old client was relieved and expected to receive the money within a month. The man identified himself for his testimony, but AP generally does not identify people who are victims of sex crimes.
The paper reported the deal is the first of 26 settlements expected soon among 31 young men who have pressed claims over Sandusky's actions and the school's response.
Kline told the AP that as part of the agreement, his client assigned his claim to Penn State, effectively giving the university a better chance to recover the money from other parties, such as The Second Mile, a charity for at-risk youth that Sandusky founded.