comments_image Comments

Nadal to miss Indian Wells and Miami - report

Rafael Nadal hits a return in the final of the Brazil Open in Sao Paulo on February 17, 2013
Rafael Nadal hits a return in the final of the Brazil Open in Sao Paulo earlier this month. Nadal will miss next month's ATP World Tour Masters Series events in Miami and Indian Wells, the Madrid sports daily Marca says.

Rafael Nadal will miss next month's ATP World Tour Masters Series events in Miami and Indian Wells, the Madrid sports daily Marca reported on Tuesday.

However, a PR company acting for the 11-time Grand Slam champion claimed the report is nothing but speculation and that Nadal still hopes to take part in both events.

"The speculation in Marca is just that. Hopefully they will be mistaken," said a statement from the BIPR group.

Former world number one Nadal has only recently returned to the court after a seven-month injury lay-off with a persistent knee problem but the paper claims he has decided to only play on clay courts as he prepares his bid for an eighth French Open title in May.

The World No.5, who begins his campaign at the Mexico Open in Acapulco later on Tuesday against Argentine Diego Schwartzman, won the Brazil Open in just his second tournament since his return a fortnight ago.

But he admitted on arriving in Mexico that his knee was still was not 100 percent.

"It's better and I've been able to compete but it's still bothering me," he said.

"It's better on some days and worse on others, which isn't ideal for someone like me, because my idea of competing is based on giving it all at all times."

After his participation in Mexico Nadal is expected to return to play the Masters Series event in Monaco in April and also compete in Madrid and Rome before the French Open begins at Roland Garros in Paris on May 26.

Share