comments_image Comments

Death toll in Port Said clashes now 22: Egypt ministry

People protest in Egypt's Port Said on January 26, 2013 after a court in Cairo sentenced 21 people to death
People protest in the Egyptian canal city of Port Said on January 26, 2013 after a court in Cairo sentenced 21 people to death over a football riot that killed more than 70 people last year. The death toll in clashes in Egypt's Port Said on Saturday reach

The death toll in clashes in Egypt's canal city of Port Said on Saturday reached 22, the health ministry said, as fighting raged following death sentences handed down in the country's worst football violence.

"Twenty-two people were killed and 200 injured," a ministry statement said.

Two policemen were among those killed, the interior ministry said in a separate statement, adding that there were "many critical injuries among police forces."

Today's Top Stories