Kansas Pushing "Most Dangerous Anti-Abortion Bill" in the Country, Would Let Doctors Lie to Patients
From Addictinginfo.com, some good consolidated information on a sweeping anti-choice bill which has just cleared the Kansas house and is headed to the state Senate, just another front in the war on women--which is really a war on families and all individuals affected by reproductive health.
• A personhood measure that would define life as beginning at conception, which would almost certainly make abortion equivalent to murder and outlaw all abortion in the state of Kansas. Many forms of contraception could also be banned.
• A measure that significantly limits abortions in the third trimester.
• A provision that bans women from claiming abortion insurance coverage and services on their taxes.
• Doctors are hereby ordered to tell women that abortion causes breast cancer, which is a damned lie.
• Doctors are also shielded from lawsuits if they withhold critical health information from pregnant women that could cause them to decide to have an abortion. In other words, they don’t have to tell women about the health of the fetus they carry and don’t have to tell women about any problems with the pregnancy.
Obviously, the end result here verges on a total ban, by the kind of legislative chiseling-away at rights and escalation of state-sanctioned harassment that we've frequently described here at AlterNet.
"Taken in and of themselves, those may each seem like pretty small moves. But they’re just the latest in a series of schemes hatched by GOP lawmakers to drive Planned Parenthood out of business and limit health insurance coverage for abortion. Call it the ‘death by 1,000 papercuts’ method of policy-making; each seemingly minor step—tax code changes, ultrasound and waiting period requirements, etc.—works to circumvent overturning Roe v. Wade and instead quietly, incrementally and methodically chip away at reproductive rights.