Family of Slain Mexican Teen to Pursue Lawsuit Against Border Patrol Officer

Last week, the Los Angeles Times reported:

Criminal charges will not be filed against a U.S. Border Patrol agent who shot and killed a 15-year-old Mexican boy on the Texas-Mexico border in 2010 because the shooting was a reasonable use of force and within agency guidelines, the Justice Department announced Friday.

The Mexican Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it “profoundly laments and expresses its most energetic rejection” of the Justice Department decision and noted that Mexico had sought the agent’s extradition.

The Mexican ambassador to the U.S., Arturo Sarukhan, issued a blunt comment via Twitter: “Mexico strongly rejects the decision.”

The incident occurred on June 7, 2010, in the area separating El Paso and Ciudad Juarez. The agent opened fire on a group of Mexicans who were throwing rocks at the agent, who was attempting to arrest an illegal immigrant. Sergio Hernandez-Guereca, who was in a spillway of the Rio Grande, was shot in the face and killed.

The Justice Department said a team of experienced prosecutors and agents concluded that there was insufficient evidence to charge the agent with homicide. 

In a statement, the department said the agent’s actions constituted a reasonable use of force and self-defense “in response to the threat created by a group of smugglers hurling rocks at the agent and his detainee.”

But an attorney for the boy's family says there is no evidence to support the claim that rocks were thrown prior to the incident. According to the AP, they plan on bringing the case to civil court.

 A lawyer for the family of a 15-year-old Mexican boy killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent in 2010 says they will press on with their lawsuit against the agent despite U.S. prosecutors' decision not to charge him.

 

AlterNet / By Staff

Posted at April 30, 2012, 11:45am

Today's Top Stories