News of the World Whistleblower Found Dead

 The News of the World phone hacking scandal is beginning to resemble the Wikileaks story in its improbable twists and extreme headlines. Are we sure we're not watching an Oliver Stone movie? In the latest development, Sean Hoare, the ousted News of the World journalist who was the first to point fingers at then-Editor in Chief Andy Coulson in the phone hacking, was found dead in his home. The death is not being treated as suspicious, but is presently unexplained. The Guardian, ever on the case:

Hoare emerged back into the spotlight last week, after he told the New York Times that reporters at the News of the World were able to use police technology to locate people using their mobile phone signals in exchange for payments to police officers.

He said journalists were able to use a technique called 'pinging' which measured the distance between mobile handsets and a number of phone masts to pinpoint its location.

Hoare gave further details about the use of 'pinging' to the Guardian last week. He described how reporters would ask a news desk executive to obtain the location of a target: "Within 15 to 30 minutes someone on the news desk would come back and say 'right that's where they are.'"

 

Hoare was certainly going to be a great asset for the prosecution in any future trial. He had problems with drugs and alcohol, which originally lead to his dismissal from News of the World, but he was said to have gotten clean in recent years. Could this story get any wilder? Read the full piece at the Guardian.

AlterNet / By Julianne Escobedo Shepherd

Posted at July 18, 2011, 7:38am

Today's Top Stories