comments_image Comments

Olbermann on Rupert Murdoch's "News of the World" Hacking Scandal

 
 
Share
 
 
 

Scandal: the Rupert Murdoch-owned British tabloid News of the Worldis accused of hacking into the phones of high-profile crime victims in order to get inside information on stories -- including that of a missing girl and victims of the 7/7 London bombing.  Not only that, there is evidence that staff members paid employees of Scotland Yard for information, as well. The Guardian:

Police officers are turning their attention to examine every high-profile case involving the murder, abduction or attack on any child since 2001 – in response to the revelation that journalists from the tabloid newspaper hacked into the voicemail messages of the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

Officers have already told the parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the girls killed in Soham in 2002 by Ian Huntley, that their mobiles had been hacked. Documents seized by the Metropolitan policein a 2006 raid on Mulcaire's home show he targeted Leslie Chapman, the father of Jessica Chapman.

Last night, Olbermann discussed the scandal and spoke with Vanity Fair contributing editor Michael Wolff, author of Rupert Murdoch: The Man Who Owns the News, on whether Murdoch will emerge from this particular infraction unscathed. The future of the paper, for it's part, isn't looking too bright: "They hacked the phone of a girl who was kidnapped and murdered," said Wolff. "This is the kind of thing that you don't get away with." Watch:

 

AlterNet / By Julianne Escobedo Shepherd

Posted at July 6, 2011, 3:52am

 
See more stories tagged with: