6 Updates On Key Harry Potter Characters From J.K. Rowling.
Photo Credit: Copyright Meinierd/ Shutterstock
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
J.K. Rowling, author of the famous Harry Potter series, has written a small postscript to her seven-book anthology that mentions what’s happened to her famous characters about two decades after the last book ended. With the (real-world) World Cup as a backdrop, she’s penned an update as written by the series’ gossip columnist, Rita Skeeter, who is at the world championships for Quidditch (their sport of choice). Here are six takeaways.
1. Harry Potter looks the same. “ About to turn 34, there are a couple of threads of silver in the famous Auror’s black hair, but he continues to wear the distinctive round glasses that some might say are better suited to a style-deficient twelve-year-old.”
2. But he has a nasty cut near the famous scar. “ The famous lightning scar has company: Potter is sporting a nasty cut over his right cheekbone.”
3. Ron Weasley went to work for his brothers.“In the immediate aftermath of the battle Weasley, whose famous ginger hair appears to be thinning slightly, entered into employment with the Ministry of Magic alongside Potter, but left only two years later to co-manage the highly successful wizarding joke emporium Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.”
4. Hermione Granger is still a super woman.“After a meteoric rise to Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, she is now tipped to go even higher within the Ministry, and is also mother to son, Hugo, and daughter, Rose. Does Hermione Granger prove that a witch really can have it all”?
5. The rest of Dumbledore’s Army has fared well.“Neville Longbottom, now a popular Herbology teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry… Luna Lovegood (now married to Rolf Scamander, swarthy grandson of celebrated Magizoologist Newt). Still delightfully eccentric, Luna has been sweeping around the VIP section in robes composed of the flags of all sixteen qualifying countries.”
6. And teenagers still can be trusted to misbehave.“No doubt Potter will be distressed to know that his sixteen-year-old godson Teddy Lupin – a lanky half-werewolf with bright blue hair – has been behaving in a way unbefitting of wizarding royalty since arriving on the VIP campsite. It might be asking too much that the always-busy Potter keep a tighter rein on this wild boy, who was entrusted to his care by his dying parents.”
It seems that this is all that Harry Potter fans are going to get from J.K. Rowling. It’s not much more than what everybody who finished the series’ last book already knew. Of course, many readers were very disappointed that she ended her book with Hermione choosing Ron Weasley instead of Harry. Alas, such a weak ending for a such a great series!
And too bad that she didn’t let us know what happened to the all the villains and their ilk. These days, the news for the rest of us outside Potterland seems to be filled with their offspring and handiwork.