10 Weirdest Things the Christian Right Thinks Will Turn Your Kids Gay
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
According to some, the Oscar-winning animated kids’ film Frozen is not the charming, comedic musical critics have universally praised, but rather Hollywood's latest sinister venture in gay propaganda. Moreover, Disney's latest blockbuster, based on a Hans Christian Anderson story, is not an isolated assault on the civilized world's core principle of heterosexuality, but one of the countless (10, if we’re counting) examples of seemingly child-friendly cultural and social entities that are actually gay conversion tools. Let's take a look at the dangers the Christian Right has alerted us to.
1. Frozen: Let it go gay. Let’s start with the most recent discovery. The gay agenda was spotted by Kathryn Skaggs, who blogs at A Well Behaved Mormon Woman. What makes Skaggs’ investigation so brave, besides the righteous headline, “'Frozen': Not Gonna Let It Go When Movie Advocates Gay Agenda,” is that Skaggs actually enjoyed the film. So, it wasn’t easy for her to write about how “the gay agenda to normalize homosexuality is woven into....Frozen not just as an underlying message—it is the movie.”
In her post of over 4,000 words, Skaggs fails to actually prove her point, but she does make creative leaps. She writes that “Elsa has a great power that she has been taught by her parents from the time she was a child, is not publicly acceptable and that she must fear its expression, at all cost, thus hide it from people, even her own sister who could be hurt by it—even killed. Shame is at the core of Elsa's feelings about her magical powers: same-sex attraction.”
So, whenever you feel something that isn’t socially acceptable, that something is your gayness. I’m not sure exactly how homosexuality could kill relatives, like Elsa's sister, but apparently it does. Heart attack from shock, I guess? Death by dehydration following non-stop vomiting? But anyway...
Right-wing radio hosts by day, culture studies critics by night Kevin Swanson and Steve Vaughn go even further, wondering if the film, and Disney as a whole, isn’t the work of the devil: “If I was the Devil,” asked Swanson, “what would I do to really foul up an entire social system and do something really, really, really evil to 5- and 6- and 7-year-olds in Christian families around America?... I would buy Disney.” Vaughn agreed, saying, “Then you would start making all these nice little movies that throw little things in there that make sin look enticing.”
2. Hot for Harry Potter.If only Frozen were the only kids' entertainment attempting to turn your kids gay. But, alas, Harry Potter was making gay cool long before Frozen was even a twinkle in Satan's eye. Now, you probably already know that the books, written by J.K. Rowlings, were pro-satanic and advocated all sorts of witchcraft. But you may have missed that’s it’s also propaGAYnda. Though the gays are notoriously sneaky in their messaging—one of the many things that make them so dangerous—the Harry Potter campaign was unique because author J.K. Rowling was atypically straightforward and honest when she officially announced "Dumbledore is gay."
Berit Kjos, a Christian author who rejects Rowling and the Christians who read her, was ecstatic about this smoking gun: "My first response was, `Thank you, Lord,' because this helps us show others that these books should not be used in the churches to illustrate Christianity. Because Dumbledore has been revealed as a homosexual, it helps me communicate my message… It helps Christians who are concerned about the use of Harry Potter books in churches, because it makes it very clear that these books are not intended to be Christian, that Rowling isn't speaking as a Christian. She has introduced values that are contrary to the biblical message."
Kjos wasn’t the only one praying that the outing of Dumbledore would serve as a wakeup call. Laura Mallory, a mother of four from Georgia who worked to get Harry Potter banned from school libraries said, "My prayer is that parents would wake up, that the subtle way this is presented as harmless fantasy would be exposed for what it really is: a subtle indoctrination into anti-Christian values…. A homosexual lifestyle is a harmful one. That's proven, medically."
Putting aside the lack of medical proof suggesting homosexuality is harmful, let’s look at the proof that the books are, indeed, gay propaganda. As someone wrote on Kuro5hin.org, “a community of people who like to think,” Harry Potter is “about a boy who lives in a cupboard (i.e. ‘in the closet’). His Aunt and Uncle are ashamed of him because his parents were quite eccentric (i.e. ‘flaming’) and they are deeply concerned and afraid that he will turn out just like them.”
So, Harry was the spawn of a flaming homosexual-heterosexual union. Interesting. That’s not all: ”On his 11th birthday (i.e. roughly at the onset of puberty), the boy discovers that he is actually a ‘wizard’, different in both style and substance from normal people, or ‘muggles’ (i.e. ‘breeders’). The boy is groomed into his new existence by a large, hairy bear of a man who shows Harry a hidden underground community of ‘wizards’ living right under the noses of the general population (i.e. the gay subculture). Harry's first trip to this subculture involves traveling through ‘Diagon Alley’, a play on the word diagonally (i.e. not straight).” If the last sentence doesn’t prove how diagonal Harry’s character is and how pro-diagonal the books are, I don’t know what will.
Perhaps this? In her understated plea “Christian Parents: Stop Trusting Harry Potter” Linda Harvey, the president of “Mission America, which monitors both the homosexual agenda directed at children as well as paganism among American youth” writes, “But Dumbledore is a made-up figure, and as such, he’s up for critique, review and remodeling. Why make him ‘gay,’ one wonders? Why now? An agenda seems to be lurking. The link between pagan/occult spirituality and outlaw sexuality has always been strong, one more reason to keep impressionable kids away from the increasingly weird genre of ‘fantasy’ books and movies. These spirits are real and seek to intrigue, deceive and sidetrack the children handed to them. And that’s exactly what we are doing—handing them our precious children, believing there’s no harm.”
3. Penguins. The gay agenda folks do not limit themselves to film or television. One of their most dangerous recruitment tools is a children’s book (with a pretty racy title): And Tango Makes Three. The book is based on the true story of Roy and Silo, two male Chinstrap (I don’t know what this is, but it sounds pretty gay to me) penguins, who lived in the Central Park Zoo in the very gay city of New York. Zookeepers observed that Roy and Silo had made a nest together and were seemingly trying to hatch a rock, which looked like a penguin egg. So, what did these zookeepers do after observing this deviant behavior? Did they separate the two? Did they initiate ex-gay-conversion therapy? No. They enabled the behavior by giving them the egg of another penguin couple, Porkey and Betty, who had two eggs they could not hatch at once. Roy and Silo took turns sitting on top of the egg until it hatched a female chick, which the zookeepers named Tango, after the very hedonist, sexual dance.
Co-writer and senior penguin keeper Rob Gramzay claims, “We wrote the book to help parents teach children about same-sex parent families. It's no more an argument in favor of human gay relationships than it is a call for children to swallow their fish whole or sleep on rocks.” But, conveniently, the writers failed to follow up on what ultimately happened to Roy and Silo. After a six-year-long sinful relationship with Roy, Silo was able to come around to the light side. He left Roy for Scrappy, a female penguin. The two forged a healthy heterosexual union, as god designed.
Candi Cushman, education analyst for Focus on the Family Action, calls the book, “very misleading”: “it’s a very disingenuous, inaccurate way to promote a political agenda to little kids.” The breakup did occur after the book was published. But surely, responsible children’s book writers would have written a sequel like And Scrappy Makes God Happy. Sadly, Tango was obviously damaged by being raised by two penguin daddies and she entered into an unhealthy lesbian-penguin relationship with another female named Tanuzi.
Luckily, this outrageous attempt at indoctrination was met with protest from the right. Between 2006 and 2010 Tango Makes Three was number one on the American Library Association’s “Ten Most Challenged Books” list. Across the nation, righteous parents have attempted to ban the book.
4. Fox News!? Though not all children watch Fox News, many of their parents do. A report called “Unfair, Unbalanced and Afraid: Fox News’ Growing Pro-Homosexual Bias and the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA),” released by the just-as-loony-as-it-sounds website America’s Survival, Inc. explains how the media company is endangering our children: “With pro-‘gay’ attitudes dominating newsrooms, few journalists seem willing to pursue stories that might offend America’s powerful and well-funded homosexual activist lobby. This would include investigating how escalating ‘gay power’ represented by pro-LGBT ‘nondiscrimination’ laws subject even very young children to inappropriate pro-homosexual ‘lessons’ in school, thus undermining both children’s innocence and parental rights.”
Fox News is a particularly dangerous harbor of homosexual propaganda because people expect so much more from it: “Why concentrate on Fox? Because Fox News has inordinate influence with conservative Americans and with the Republican Party—which is also retrenching its opposition to 'gay rights.' And because Fox holds itself to a high standard of being 'Fair and Balanced'— i.e., not sharing the notorious bias of the dominant liberal media.”
How do we know the homosexual agenda has managed to infiltrate Fox News? The dearth of coverage of ex-gays who were converted into straightdom is one telltale sign: “Homosexual activists are desperate to keep happy FORMER homosexuals out of the media. Why doesn’t Fox’s Sean Hannity or 'Fox & Friends' do a segment on happy ex-‘gays’?” Answer: because they are taking orders from these desperate Homosexual activists. More proof? "Pushing Sean Hannity out of the 9:00 p.m. slot, to make way for pro-homosexual advocate Megyn Kelly, is another sign of the channel's left-ward drift and decline."
I guess Hannity, who caves to gay pressure by not having at least one ex-gay guest per episode, is better than FOG (Friend of Gays) Megyn Kelly, who once actually used the phrase “marriage equality” (instead of gay marriage) on LIVE NATIONAL TV! Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly claims that the whole gay marriage "thing" will cause unions with a “goat," "duck," "turtle," and "dolphin." And Fox News Radio’s Todd Starnes is obsessed with President Obama’s alleged homosexual relationship with Reggie Love. And Shannon Bream had a special segment called “The Fight for Faith” in which she warned that anti-discrimination ordinances were "reverse discrimination" and a “First Amendment rights issue.” And Tucker Carlson does consider laws mandating that businesses serve gay customers “fascism.” And Megyn Kelly herself does fear that if businesses can’t discriminate against gay people, Catholic Churches will be forced to perform gay weddings. But none of that can outweigh the pro-gay bias of Fox News. It’s that bad.
5. T&A TSA.Not surprisingly, the government is part of the gay recruitment agenda. Now, many conservatives are hip to the way the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) combines scanning, pat-downs and non-discrimination policies to subject travelers to homosexual inspection. For instance, Peter LaBarbera, president of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH), asked, “Is it fair to travelers who may end up getting ‘groped’ by homosexual TSA agents who are secretly getting turned on through the process….The reality is, most traveling men would not want Barney Frank to pat them down at the airport security checkpoint.”
But Eugene Delgaudio (R), who represents Louden County, Virginia, on the Board of Supervisors, was one of the first people to spot the special effect it would have on children. He explains himself and his mission in this fundraising letter he sent to his supporters:
I took a stand against the TSA and their "porno scanners" and blatant groping. And I took a stand against their policy of "non-discrimination" which subjects you and me to humiliation and dehumanization at the hands of practicing homosexuals. How it exposes those most precious to us—our children—to being photographed by naked scanners or explicit sexual touching by practicing homosexuals…. These TSA policies force terrified parents to choose between salivating radical homosexual employees viewing pornographic images of their child or a full-on molestation.
So… there’s that.
6. Homosexuality-fostering foster care.California’s (AB-1856) Bill requires that the existing training programs mandated for foster parents and caregivers include “instruction on cultural competency and sensitivity relating to, and best practices for, providing adequate care” to LGBT youth. Focus on the Family was concerned that the bill would “drive Christian couples away.” If this happens, how many children will be denied the gift of unloving and homophobic foster parents who would opt out of foster care before undergoing sensitivity training?
But it’s much worse than that.
As Dale O'Leary, author of The Gender Agenda and One Man, One Woman explains, “A child who’s been sexually abused by a person of the same sex, (particularly if the child is a boy), is going to have doubts about his identity. And he needs help to get through that. If we push homosexuality on him, or these gender-identity ideas, it’s just going to confuse him… One of the outcomes of sexual child abuse is concern about one’s sexual attractions and identity.”
Luckily, Dale isn’t the only one with a good head on her shoulders. Phil Burress, president of the Ohio-based anti-gay group Citizens for Community Values, says, “This is the way the homosexual activists continue to build their numbers — is to get people confused about their gender identity and start acting out….”
Every time someone goes through sensitivity training countless otherwise straight youth become confused into being gay.
7. Anti bullying-bullying.Of course the gay agenda targets schools, where they can directly indoctrinate children by teaching tolerance and, even worse, discouraging bullying. Self-described “historian” David Barton argues that bullying of LGBT kids is a figment of the liberal imagination and that the bullies are in fact gay agitators who lob spitballs of tolerance at the schools: “It’s not the schools that are doing bullying, it’s the people from outside the schools coming in and saying ‘oh you got a bullying problem and we need to teach a course for you.’ The people living there didn’t see any problem.”
Liberty Counsel’s public policy analyst Shawn Akers calls out anti-bullying education for what it really is: “a form of indoctrination and reeducation that smacks of socialist and communist countries.” And for Matt Barber, director of cultural affairs with Liberty Counsel, anti bullying is nothing less than a “homo-fascist tactic.” One of the tools these homo-fascist-bullies-in-anti-bullies’-clothing use is the Day of Silence, “a day of action in which students across the country vow to take a form of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.”
But such efforts to call attention to the physical and emotional abuse of LGBT youth is too much for many Christians to bear. So, some right-wing organizations like Save California, Liberty Council and American Family Association are speaking truth to… silence, by organizing "Day Of Silence Walkouts,” in which kids are encouraged to stay home from if their school participates in the anti-bullying day. An anti-bullying message is clearly radical sexual propaganda. According to Liberty Council, the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (GLSEN), which organizes the National Day of Silence, “promotes a radical sexualized agenda, including the promotion of books that encourage sex between adults and minors. The Day of Silence has been turned into a homosexual and transsexual promotion agenda. The Day of Silence is not about tolerance or bullying. It is about pushing a sexual agenda. Students and staff who disagree with a radical sexualized agenda are demonized and made to feel like outsiders.”
Save California’s Randy Thomasson describes the Day of Silence as "another day of brainwashing for children. To have an entire academic day to be hijacked and disrupted is just a wasted school day… They should be taken into detention. They shouldn't be allowed to make a school day a day of sexual political activism.”
As for the whole higher depression and suicide rates among youth bullied over their perceived sexual orientation thing, that just goes with the territory of homosexuality, according to Barber: “Kids who are engaging in homosexual behavior often look inward and know that what they are doing is unnatural, is wrong, is immoral, and so they become depressed and the instances of suicide can rise there as well.” In other words, it’s the homosexuality, not the homophobia and the bullying that are at fault.
8. Public miseducation. The indoctrination doesn’t stop with the anti-bullying or the Day of Silence. It seeps into the very school curriculum. As David Barton warns, "I guarantee you [your kids] are getting homosexual indoctrination…. I don't care whether you're in a rural area or not, because this is so much a part of textbooks, so much a part of curricular stuff, so much a part of what goes on with other kids."
California’s SB 48 Bill mandates that curricula and textbooks include “the role and contributions of both men and women, Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, European Americans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans, persons with disabilities, and members of other ethnic and cultural groups” to California and society, in general. It’s bad enough to be forced to recognize women and minorities. But talking about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans is just un-American! Before the bill was passed, Save California's Thomasson warned it "would mandate new role models— homosexual, bisexual, transsexual role models," who "kids as young as kindergarten would have to admire.” Thomasson was particularly worried that children would be forced to learn about Elton John. Thomasson predicted, "This is the kind of garbage that will be taught to kids” as the kids are led "like lambs to the slaughter.”
9. SpongeBob NOT so SquarePants.Sea sponges may reproduce asexually. So a show whose main character is a sponge is the perfect cover for a homosexual agenda. The animated series "SpongeBob SquarePants," about a sponge who spends an awful lot of time holding hands with his starfish “friend” Patrick, proves this. James C. Dobson, the founder of the conservative evangelical organization Focus on the Family, outed the sea creature for appearing in what he called a "pro-homosexual video." It turns out, SpongeBob, along with Barney and Jimmy Neutron, and other creations, were in a video that promoted… hold on... tolerance.
According to Dobson, the tolerance-peddlers behind this project were going to send copies of the video to thousands of children’s schools, where children would be forced to take a “tolerance pledge” that included tolerating "sexual identity." Actually, and shockingly, Dobson got the facts wrong. The video featuring SpongeBob was made by the We Are Family Foundation, which Nile Rodgers (who wrote the disco anthem "We Are Family,") founded after 9/11 to teach children about cultural tolerance. There is no pledge mentioned in the video. Rodgers assumes that Dobson confused his foundation, which doesn’t bring up sexual orientation, with "We Are Family," a group supporting LGBT youth.
But Dobson would not be swayed by facts. As his assistant Paul Batura explained, "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids....It is a classic bait and switch."
10. Teletubby TWINKy Winky.The Teletubbies who star in the show aimed at pre-schoolers may be adorable. But they are far from innocent. In a not-so-subtle article called “Parents Alert: Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet,” the late Jerry Falwell, of Moral Majority and Liberty College, exposed the show’s "subtle depictions" of homesexualism. Falwell analyzed the visual cues found in the particular character of Tinky Winky: "He is purple—the gay-pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle—the gay-pride symbol."
Falwell must have been too busy suppressing his gag reflex to mention that the character also rubs his sexuality in the face of innocent pre-schoolers who have no idea what sexuality is by wearing a bag. But he did state, "As a Christian I feel that role modeling the gay lifestyle is damaging to the moral lives of children."